Even if your roof looks okay from the outside it may be on its last legs. There’s only one way to find out if your roof needs replaced and that involves getting out your ladder.
Here are some warning signs that your roof needs replaced.
- Your roof has ripped or torn shingles. This will allow water to get past the shingle to the underlayment slowly causing damage.
- You have bald spots on your roof with few granules. This indicates your roof is on its last legs. Check near your drains to see if there are a lot of granules from your shingles. If so, you should start saving money to replace your roof.
- Your neighbors are getting their roofs replaced. If you live in a housing community that was built at the same time then you should get your roof inspected if you see your neighbor replace their roof. This means that you could have leaks causing water damage and mold without knowing it.
- Your roof just looks old and worn. Maybe you just want to replace your roof because it looks ugly. Replacing your roof can increase your resale value if you are planning on selling your home soon.
- You have dark streaks or discoloration of the shingles. If your shingles are dark they may have moss growing on them. Use a 50:50 solution of bleach and water and spray it on with an insecticide sprayer. Do not use high water pressure on your roof because you can take off protective granules from the roof. Also protect your plants from the spray and watch out in case the roof is slippery. Discoloration is mostly a cosmetic issue and does not necessarily mean your roof is gone.
- Your shingles are curling. This is a sure sign that your roof is ready to leak.
- Your roof is 20 years old. Most shingle roofs last 20 – 25 years so if you have an old roof expect it to leak soon.
- Your roof has a springy or trampoline like feel to it when you walk on it. This can indicate that moisture has ruined the ply boards underneath. Also check to see if you can see sunlight from the rafters in your attic. If the insulation is wet this may mean you have a leak.
- Your roof has missing or damaged flashings. If your roof has missing or damaged flashings you probably have a leak whether you know it or not.
- You have discolored drywall in your home. This is a sure sign of a leak. If it is near faucets or showers it could be your plumbing.
If you decide that you need to replace your roof there are two options. You can remove your existing roof or you can reroof or roof over your existing roof. Reroofing will save you about 25% by avoiding dumpster and removal fees. You can only have two layers of shingles on your roof, so if you have done it before you will have to do a full removal.
Even new roofs can leak. If your roof was poorly installed it could severely limit the lifespan of the roof. Your roof warranty is contingent on quality installation. Bad quality roofing will have weak seals around chimneys and vents.
If you are concerned that your Phoenix roof is leaking then take advantage of free roofing inspections to get a roofer’s opinion. A good roofer will point out the problems with the roof to you so that you know the roof really needs replaced and that you are not being scammed.
We offer free estimates all throughout Phoenix, including in Scottsdale, Tempe, Glendale, Gilbert, Mesa, Peoria, Sun City, and Cave Creek. We have decades of roofing experience and are A+ rated by the BBB.